Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Executive & Senior-Level Positions and other Accounting Jobs topics.
What is a Staff Accountant?
The Staff Accountant position is another accounting position which has duties and responsibilities differing according to the entity involved. The smaller the company, the more bookkeeping duties involved for the Staff Accountant. The larger the company, the more supervisory/overseeing duties are performed. In general, the Staff Accountant is known to perform the following:
- Maintaining the company's general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts, including posting and preparing opening, adjusting, and closing journal entries
- Preparing financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows
- Supervising clerical positions, if needed
- Assisting the Senior Accountant as needed; working on special projects as management requests
- Performing bank reconciliations, performing account reconciliations between the general ledger and subsidiary ledger, account reconciliations between the general ledger and financial statements
- Maintaining accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll accounts
- Maintaining employee files and payroll records; preparing check requests and purchase requisitions
- Preparing invoices, preparing loan packages
- Posting to the accounting software program; maintaining banking relations
- Cash management including preparing wire transfers, sweep account transactions