Controller Job Description
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Controllers and other Accounting Jobs topics.
What is a controller job description like?
The Controller position is complex, diversified, and varies according to industry and firm size. Here is a sample of a Controller job description:
- Directs budget and cost controls.
- Financial analysis, accounting practices and reports.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data and recommends changes to improve systems and financial performance.
In small firms, the controller may:
- Maintain, analyze, summarize and general ledger accounts,
- Prepare or supervise preparation of financial statements
- Coordinate year end audits
- Supervises exempt and non-exempt accounting staff
- Presents financial information to senior management and/or Board of Directors.
- Works on special projects as needed.
- Maintains vendor and customer relations.
- Develops chart of accounts.
Educationally, a CPA is required. Must have at least seven years relevant work experience. Must be current with regulations and compliance issues. Strong supervisory skills required.